The journey of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is challenging and therefore it is important to pay attention to the minutest of the details, while preparing for it. Mount Kailash Yatra is not only physical draining but mentally challenging as well. Please don’t think that if Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is a pilgrimage site, you can decide to pack your bags any minute and go for it. Mount Kailash Yatra is known to take lives due to its challenging weather conditions and therefore good amount of preparation is required for a visit to Lord Shiva’s abode.
Here are the things that you should take care off:
Money: This might sound strange but let’s be honest that Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is an expensive pilgrimage site, tucked in one of the remotest areas of China. Mount Kailash Yatra requires a minimum of 1.5 lac INR, with maximum cost coming from the China side.
Documentation Work: Now, I have been asked this that how Indians manage to enter within China region in the absence of any border and answer is through Nepal. Now, here is the thing that you need to know about the Visa process for these two countries, that you are going to enter for Mount Kailash Yatra. For Indians, Nepal offers Visa on arrival, which means that you do not need to worry for any pre stamped application for Nepal. But you would need a China application which your travel agent shall arrange
How to get China Visa for Mount Kailash Yatra
- For Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, you need to apply for a group visa for which you would require a minimum of four people
- You will get the visa from Kathmandu which shall be applicable for thirty days
- You would need to submit the passport to your travel agency for at least two weeks. That’s the usual time they take to process the China visa and permits for Tibet. Visa application is mandatory because you are not be allowed to travel in Tibet independently, according to the rules. Believe me, there are permit checks at every corner
- This visa is usually not placed in the passport but is a sheet of paper which mentions the name of the people in the group followed by their nationalities, date of birth and passport number. This sheet remains with your group guide
- You cannot extend the group visa. All the members are required to enter and exit at the same time
For clearing the Chinese immigration, I have already written an in-depth blog which you can read here
Strict Fitness Routine: A strict fitness routine of three months is mandatory; in case you are planning to come for Mount Kailash Yatra. Please keep in mind that Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is unlike any other pilgrimage, where you can just go without much planning or fitness. Due to its remote location, it will get a little uncomfortable at some places. Therefore, it is important to take your fitness seriously and develop a routine which can be followed diligently. Check my detailed blog on fitness tips where I have shared how I prepared for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra including the food diet that I followed
Also, please keep in mind to get a proper medical check- up done and carry all the medicines as prescribed by the doctors.
The Best Time to go for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra: Since, Mount Kailash Yatra is a limited season destination there is not much choice to choose for the best time. The months of June till September has got slightly warm temperature and high oxygen content at this terrain and therefore many pilgrims opt to do Kailash Yatra in these months. However, you might experience rainfall during July and August, which is also the time that you would see the variety of wildlife species here. During the month of September, you wouldn’t get much rainfall here but then the temperature become a little cold. So, decide wisely
Packing tips: The terrain of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is rugged and therefore, it is important that you carry the right clothing with you. A set of right pairs is essential to carry which will help you to protect yourself from the harsh weather. I have made a detailed video on my YouTube channel where I have shared about the type of clothing that you should carry. Sharing the same below, make sure you check this out
Tour Itinerary: There are number of places that you would travel from Nepal to Kailash. I have made a complete video on my YouTube channel. You can check it out
Walking around the sacred mountain for Lord Shiva: Kailash Parikrama is surreal experience. Walking around Mount Kailash will give you a glimpse of the landscape that you wouldn’t have seen otherwise. But there are a couple of things that you should know
- Incase, you are doing the three days of Parikrama, please carry a small backpack with just the basic essential items. The temperature at this terrain is really cold and therefore you wouldn’t be taking a bath. You can avoid carrying the extra pairs of clothes. Just carry one or two layers extra incase you get wet or the weather gets really cold
- Deraphuk and Zulthulphuk, the two places where you shall stay during the Kailash Parikrama have shared accommodations and open toilets. Therefore, make sure you carry your toilet essentials with you
- There are chances of oxygen drop at Deraphuk therefore check with your guide if they have oxygen pumps available. Else, you can carry them with you
I am sharing a full video of the three days of Parikrama around Mount Kailash. Just incase you would want to see
Difficulties during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra: There are number of difficulties that a human body might suffer during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- High Altitude: The maximum height gain that a pilgrim will take during Kailash Mansarovar Yatra will be 17,000 Feet at Dolma pass, on the Day two of Kailash Parikrama. Also, the second day of entering China when you gain a sudden height to reach saga. Make sure that you take proper rest. Don’t roam around. Take rest. Drink enough water and you should be fine.
- Weather: The weather of Tibet is cold and really dry. Therefore, be prepared to face the rough weather
- Fatigue: Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is physical and mentally exhausting and will take everything out of you. So, be prepared to face tough conditions
But, let me tell you that despite all the challenges and hard time that go in preparing for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, seeing Mount Kailash does sends a chill. Go for it
Reproducing Content & photographs from this website is prohibited without Author’s approval and liable for strict action
Join me on my Social Media Channels and explore the World with me. Like me on: